Attempting to Run, Part 1 Saturday, February 28, 2009



One of my biggest goals for this year, is to become a runner. I decided to follow the Couch-to-5K plan that was listed on Quarter Life Girl's fitness site.


This plan extends over 9 weeks where you slowly build up the your strength thru a series of interval runs.


Week 1 - Alternate: Run 1 minute, Walk 90 seconds (8 intervals)


Week 2 - Alternate: Run 90 seconds, Walk 2 minutes (6 intervals)


Week 3 - Alternate: Run 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds, Run 3 minutes, Walk 3 minutes


Week 4 - Repetitions x 2: Run 3 minutes, Walk 90 seconds, Run 5 minutes, Walk 2-1/2 minutes (32 minutes total)


Week 5 - (1)Run 5 minutes, Walk 3 minutes (Repeat x3);(2)Run 8 minutes, Walk 5 minutes (Repeat x 2); (3)Run 20 minutes


Week 6 - (1)Run 5 minutes, Walk 3 minutes, Run 8 minutes, Walk 5 minutes, Run 5 minutes; (2)Run 10 minutes, Walk 3 minutes ( Repeat x 2 ); (3)Run 25 minutes


Week 7 - Run 25 minutes (2.5 miles)


Week 8 - Run 28 minutes (2.75 miles)


Week 9 - Run 30 minutes, or 5k (3.1 miles)


So, I started the plan and I could run more than 3 intervals without wanting to scream. Now keep in mind I was doing this on the threadmill, so two things could have gone wrong.


- The speed on the threadmill was too fast


- I was trying too much, too soon


I emailed QL Girl and asked for suggestions which I will post in the next post. I have realised that I need to swallow my pride and start slow, where I reduce my running intervals to 30 seconds and take it from there.

0 comments: